Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dominion Storage Solutions, Version 2

Introduction

A little while ago I mimicked a Dominion storage solution I found on a website, cutting a few corners to reduce cost (if you missed it, it's here). I first wanted to mention a few minor changes I made to the initial design (found here) and then talk about a second design that consolidates cards better and is a more portable solution than what I started with.

Version 1.0 adjustments

Version 1 mainly constituted of a couple acrylic card boxes.
I made a couple additional changes as I noticed some little annoyances when using my initial model. Neither change was that drastic, but I've found they're nice little adjustments to have made.

The first problem I had was the lid not closing if the tabs were vertically upright. To fix this, I trimmed each tab about 1/8" from the bottom (or halfway to the index card's next blue guide line). It was a little time consuming, but it worked out well. The tabs still stuck out and were readable; I guess I didn't need as much clearance with the tabs as I initially thought.

Tab sliced, above a tab that wasn't sliced.
The bottom part is the difference between the index cards.
The second problem I had was when tabs fell over in the acrylic case - sometimes it was a little tricky to pick them up, especially when they shifted under other cards and tabs. My brother made a great suggestion of slicing a coffee stirrer vertically with a razor blade and putting one on either side of the card to act as a little bumper. If you cut a standard coffee stirrer into quarters, you're able to add bumpers to 2 index cards per stirrer.
Tab after adjustments.
You can get stirrers in bulk at a store like Staples. If you want to test out the idea I found my local Qdoba had some on hand.

Version 2.0

Although I liked my initial solution, I wasn't particularly thrilled with it for portability. I currently own Dominion (base game), Intrigue, Hinterlands and Guilds and it was 3 card boxes to carry everywhere. On the one hand it was nice that I could pick and choose what to take (since I'm introducing people to Dominion still I don't usually need to take anything beyond the base set and Intrigue with me), but that's still 2 card boxes to take and I can do better.

Additionally I had carry games in recyclable tote bags, and those card cases are a little larger than those standard sized bags. I've been noticing my bags starting to have holes wearing through them, and it looks like it's due to those longer boxes.

Boxes

I think we need a bigger box.
I had a 40% off coupon to Michael's so I went browsing. I stumbled upon a Large Photo and Craft Keeper by Iris, which is meant to hold 4x6 photos. With those dimensions it seemed like I could put two stacks of cards per box. Assuming each box holds 2 stacks of 60, that'd be about 120 cards x 16 boxes for 1920 cards. Though all Dominion sets [based on Wikipedia data] add up total 2850, it sounded like this would handle the 1450ish cards that I currently had.

I chose to take a cheap route to splitting each box in half, folding a regular envelope up to become a tray.

Doubles as a paper airplane.
I chose to mostly keep the supply cards bundled by set still (at least for Intrigue and the base set), though I may move away from this soon.

Tabs

Playing with tabs.
I liked the ease and cheapness in making tabs with index cards, so I chose to stick with that. This time around though, after a little bit of thought, I moved more toward vertical tabs. I liked the tabs from my first attempt a lot - I liked the readability and the color coding of each tab to make them easy to find, but with this effort I had two major hurdles to go though.

The first problem was how to get the tabs mixed in with the cards and be as readable as possible. Between looking through the plastic and looking all around the edge of the case to read the contents, I decided against large tabs and opted for little numbered tabs.

Sometimes easier is better.
I chose to stick with 6 numbered tabs, with identifying text for each tab on the front of the first tab of the set. I would've liked more, but it was pretty much at the box's capacity. I've been considering adding color to the tabs or the text up front, but I can't say it seems like much of a benefit at this point. While a nice indicator, the color of the Randomizer Cards don't seem to be as important as being organized alphabetically.

After a while I got lazy and only cut one side of the tabs off instead of both. I'm not sure if this approach is better, but it may hold up better over time. I'll have to see how it holds up over time.

The other good thing about not adding color is that I won't feel as bad if I get another set and have to readjust some or all of the tab sets. With the tab information all being on the first card, changing the ordering only requires replacing the (1) tab.

One card box containing 12 sets of Supply cards.

Result

Version 2: Less colorful right now, but more portable.
When I finished up, I had a box with a handle that contained all my cards easily. While it doesn't look like it'll hold all Dominion cards, I like how it's a compartmentalized solution; should I wish to take a subset of cards, I can mix and match easily, or just take the packs I need (if I organize them effectively).

Top Cards and Tabs roaming free in their boxes. ಠ_ಠ
There are still some little inconveniences though. Some of the tabs/cards slide around in the individual boxes, in spite of my efforts to prevent it from happening. I'll probably wait a little bit before considering how to correct this though, since I'm not sure if it's that big a problem. If it's only the top card or two, I'd rather they shift a little in transport than adjust the boxes so I lose more space.

Because I really don't want to confuse Randomizer Cards
with all the other cards.
Also there's a matter of labeling. Since there are now many little boxes I'd have to take them all out to see their contents. I'm considering stickers or tape labels to help with identification (I used painter's tape to label some things like the Randomizer Cards, but that was along the front). I'm also considering taping a guide/map on the inner part of the box for identifying the smaller boxes.
If only there was something on the top part of the box
to describe the bottom part of the box. Hmm.

Conclusion

So this is what I have at the moment. As you can read, there are a few more things to adjust, and my overall goal remains working toward an economical version of the kickstarter I initially saw. I think I'm getting closer, but there's still a way to go from here. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know via the comments here, or wherever (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, email, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment