Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rolling for Initiative (or Blogging with Inspiration)

Introduction

So I went home recently looking for an older game I was talking about at work. It was called "APBA Baseball" and although originally published in 1951, the version we had was probably from the 1970s or 1980s. To briefly summarize the game, there was a base game you bought, and then every year they released a set of all players as an annual expansion to the game. Sort of like Madden football video games, but as a board game. With you and your opponent each choosing a team set, you could play each other using the players from that team in that year, with dice incorporating a randomization factor. I don't recall playing it a whole lot, but it was an interesting concept. When fantasy football started becoming a mainstream internet attraction, this was the first thing I remembered.

Here's an amazing video about it from the New York Times five years ago:


Interestingly, this board game is still a thing, even after 70 years, and it covers most major sports including Football, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball and Golf. So if this sounds of interest to you it can be purchased initially for about $25 at apba.stores.yahoo.net. But the game isn't really the focus of my story this time around.

Finding the Game

My family had a lot of board games growing up; several of which I loved as a child. We had fun kid's games like Cat's Eye, some dexterity games like Torpedo Run!, and a lot of oddball games. One that sticks in my mind is Solarquest, which was essentially Monopoly in space. It was a more enjoyable game, particularly because it - unlike Monopoly - ended much more quickly. I'm hoping to write about at least some of these games in the future.

When I was living at home over a decade ago, the games were all in the house's family room, and not very well organized. A few years later, most of those games migrated downstairs into the basement (though with some exceptions - games that my brother and I felt specific ownership toward like Hero's Quest or Torpedo Run! stayed out of the basement).

I collected Torpedo Run! from home today. [Instagram]
A while back my dad's basement flooded, and there was a lot of water damage that migrated into the basement. This led to the destruction of a lot of things downstairs, but some of it was noticed more than others (and you can probably tell where this is going). Today my search for this game led us downstairs, and we found out the game in terrible shape. It wasn't going to be salvageable because previous damage, time and neglect tore the game to shreds, and was immediately trashed.
It was really bad. When you can buy the game
today for $25, you may as well trash a box like this.

Pipeline

It's said you can find inspiration in everything, and there in the basement I saw another game called Pipeline (1988) that looked in slightly better shape. On a whim as my dad was bringing APBA Baseball upstairs, I grabbed Pipeline and took it along with me.
Another basement victim, but more salvageable.
I didn't have much hope for APBA Baseball, because I remembered it being almost entirely paper components, but I wanted to see a better example. Pipeline turned out to be a great decision to grab - all the pieces except the board were made of plastic, and the board itself should be relatively easy to reconstruct. I washed the pieces off two clear off dust and whatnot that may have remained after several years out of sight.

"After 20+ years you will find, looking this good you are not."
Pipeline: A game without a board right now.
I plan to reconstruct Pipeline in the next month or two, though I may take a few liberties with the game board. The objective of the game is for each player to build out a pipe from the center of a custom board out to one of their oil tankers at the edge of the game board. Considering that's the only special thing about the board, it may be easier to create obstacle pieces and use a plain game board, so I can use the board for more things in the future.

Inspiration

What remains of the APBA Baseball game - the rest was
all trashed. [Instagram]
In the weeks ahead I will probably attempt to clear out the board games that are in the basement and see what games or parts I can salvage. There were several games of my childhood that I enjoyed down there, and it saddens me to know that some of those may never be played again in their current state. So my hope for the moment is to see what can be saved, and otherwise document as much imagery as I can, extract the pieces that may have a second life one day (either in rebuilding the game or making them backup components), and trash the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the damage to your games. My brother and I enjoyed Hero Quest (I liked being Zargon) and Omega Virus. "You found me! Try and stop me! Muah ha ha ha!"

    ReplyDelete